Many older adults are “Living Out Loud” which means they are taking charge of their lives, not watching the world pass them by and they are making exciting plans far into their later years!
Here are some examples of how older adults are “living out loud”:
- Working longer
- Trying a new career after retirement – their Second Act
- Becoming entrepreneurs
- Staying healthy to avoid the need for an assisted living arrangement
- Keeping current by using the latest technology
Some older adults may need support when they are determined to age in place. As a caregiver, here are some ways to support your loved ones.
- Support their endeavors
- Assist them in accessing healthcare to assure they can age in place
- Offer assistance to manage medications
- Encourage them to engage in physical activities and to interact with others
- Teach them to use technology to stay connected to friends and family
- Make certain they eat healthy meals and reinforce healthy habits
- Help locate activities
Everyone may not have the financial means for “living out loud” but there are less expensive options. Consider taking a college course. Some colleges have programs that allows residents, age 60 and above, to audit courses with tuition waived. Regional high schools may offer adult education courses in topics such as language skills, technology, gardening, dance lessons and yoga sessions, often with reduced rates for older adults. Libraries offer book clubs and other interesting events.
We all know this saying, “Why put off until tomorrow what you can do today?”, but do we ever do this? Step out of your comfort zone. Try something new. Take that class you have always wanted. Chances are this may also be the first time for other people in the class. Don’t quit. Don’t worry about how you look or what other people think. These are all excellent opportunities to socialize with other people who have similar interests.
Keep your mind and body active. Live your life with purpose, and be the best “you” that you can be! As we continue to live longer, it makes sense to ensure we are living fulfilling lives. The following links provide more information.