Global Diversity Awareness Month takes place every October and celebrates the diversity of cultures and communities around the world. Old Colony Elder Services (OCES) is committed to promoting and supporting diversity and inclusion.
Through more than 20 different programs, OCES offers significant life-supporting care contributing to an individual’s ability to live within the community as independently as possible for as long as possible while preserving dignity and quality of life. OCES is the largest provider of these in-home and community-based services for older adults and people living with disabilities in the southeastern part of Massachusetts.
Did you know? OCES’ services are available in multiple languages including but not limited to Cape Verde Creole, Haitian Creole, Spanish, and Portuguese. From the first point of telephone contact, OCES connects with individuals, families and caregivers seeking resources and assistance.
OCES’ Nutrition Program enhances the quality of life for older adults by providing nutritionally sound and satisfying meals at Community Dining meal sites located throughout the OCES service area as well as through the Meals On Wheels (home-delivered meals) Program. Did you know? OCES will soon expand the Meals on Wheels offerings for recipients throughout the Brockton area to include an optional diverse meal in addition to the standard menu items.
There are many ways that individuals can celebrate diversity, not only during Global Diversity Awareness Month, but anytime. Here are a few ways:
- Discover more about the cultures and backgrounds of others around the world through reading.
- Learn a new language. Practice key phrases and short sentences that you could use to communicate right away.
- Enjoy a movie night of international films.
- Tune in to music from different cultures. It has been said by many, in a number of different ways, that “music brings people together”.
- Experience cuisine from other cultures. Dine out or try your hand at a new recipe.
Learning more about and honoring diverse cultures strengthens understanding and connection.